Friday 17 April 2009

well you're entitled to your opinion....

... you're damn right I am!

And for the record, that entitlement doesn't need to be voiced by you! It really gets to me when people state that I'm entitled to my opinion, because what they really mean is, "I'm right, you're wrong and I can't be bothered to debate this with you like an adult". If you truly believed that we were both as entitled to our opinions, it would go without saying.

I've noticed this patronising phrase coming up recently when I discuss religious/ spiritual topics with religious people.

For the record - when it comes to God I am conflicted. My spiritual side whole-heartedly believes in a Being (with a capital ~B), capable of infinite love and forgiveness. My logical side sees the 10 o/c news and scoffs at the beliefs of the spiritual side.

To further complicate matters I feel like the word "spiritual" sounds ridiculously pretentious, but I can't think of another so that is what we'll be using.

Anyway - the facebook status that sparked debate was mine:

Eva doesn't believe in hell, except that which we create for ourselves here on earth. She doesn't believe in the devil either, human nature is devious enough.

A pretty innocuous statement really, based on the fact that if you believe in a being of infinite forgiveness, how could that being then condemn you to an eternity of torment - something doesn't add up!

And in the absence of proof for or against the existance of this being that epitomises evil (Devil) it's pretty easy to choose against.

Think about it. If the devil does exist - but I live a good life - his/ her/ its existence doesn't really affect me. I attribute the bad things that happen to me as;

  • bad luck,
  • random chance (the crap has to hit somebody)
  • another human's issues (psychopathic tendencies, anger etc)
and react accordingly.

Try taking personal responsibility for the crap that happens to you!

If you're single and you don't want to be, maybe you're doing something wrong
If you keep attracting wastemen/ women, maybe you're doing something wrong
If you're stuck in a dead end job, maybe your lazy ass is doing something wrong (ok scratch that one, its a recession - times are hard)

If the devil doesn't exist and I live a good life - I attribute the bad aspects of my life to the same things - except I now walk with an air of smug righteousness - obnoxious, i know - lol!

In a Seattle debate about the existence of the devil, Deepak Chopra had this to say

"Healthy people do not have any need for Satan. Healthy people need to confront their own issues, understand themselves and move towards the direction of compassion, creativity, understanding, context, insight, inspiration, revelation and understanding that we are part of an ineffable mystery. …So I would say be done with Satan and confront your own issues."
Exactly what I wanted to say - with added eloquence and wisdom!

To be honest, my rage was because I was unable to state this opinion without someone on the highest of high horses leaving me a facebook message telling me that I was wrong. I'm humble enough to agree that that may be the case, I'm not omniscient. Can you admit the same?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment